Sunday, April 6, 2008

Reading Frenzy

I've got to get this proposal out of the way, so I'm reading like crazy. This week I finished off China Mieville's Perdido Street Station which is a veritable feast and one book (along with The Scar and probably King Rat) that I'm going to refer to a lot in my PhD essay. Also read K.W. Jeter's Morlock Nights which is one of the first (or maybe THE first) Steampunk novel. I found this really useful in deciding which themes I want to pursue when I write about Mieville's work because it's by far less complex and easier to critique. Now I'm halfway through Gibson & Stirling's The Difference Engine which I hope to finish tomorrow. I love the writing in this book and I keep trying to figure out which bits Stirling wrote and which bits Gibson wrote, but that's not what I'm supposed to be looking for. Once that's read, I'm going to knuckle down to some proposal writing and also try and get through Tim Powers' Anubis Gates and something by Moorecock and Sean McMullen and maybe Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age. Busy times ahead.

Hint: If your having trouble with pantry moths (which I am right now), Perdido Street Station is probably only going to make matters worse!!!

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Hi Carol: I'm one of your CW classmates. I read Perdido in February and I've had panty moths and the thought of them at the same time is pretty terrifying.

Carol Ryles said...

Hi Pamela. I think I need one of those crisis engines to flush those darn pantry moths out. See ya at Clarion.

Pamela said...

I've just started Paul Park this weekend. I've read almost every author in this post. I bought the library copy of Jeter's Farewell Horizonal during the shelf clearing sale - I love that book. I've read lots of Gibson but not Difference Engine which I think is in the house somewhere. I read Stephenson's Snow Crash. Anubis Gates has been on my list forever.