Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Why Seattle

A friend asked me yesterday why I chose to apply to Clarion West, Seattle over San Diego and Brisbane. I've got to say, it was a difficult choice. All three Clarions have an excellent line up of tutors this year and I've heard excellent reports about all three from past students. If I'd had to base my decision on that alone, I would have ended up just pulling a straw out of a hat. Even when I sat down and thought hard about it, there were pros and cons on all three sides.

Brisbane Clarion, unfortunately is bad timing for me. January is Aussie summer and school holidays and the only time of the year all five of us are operating on the same wavelength. I'd hate to miss out on that. San Diego and Seattle Clarions, however, are right in the middle of Aussie winter. The kids have a 2 week break and Phil can take time off work to spend time with them. That leaves only 2 1/2 weeks of school either side of school hols. My 16 year old has end of semester exams, but my plan is to harass her into studying a few weeks before so she's at least a bit better prepared than she would have been if I were there. My 18 year old will be on uni break and my 13 year old will be simply cruising, as usual. So hopefully, when the time comes, I won't feel too guilty about leaving them. Next deciding factor was climate. Seattle is mild, San Diego is hot. I'll take mild over hot anytime. Also, I visited San Diego about 20 years ago, but not Seattle. Plus, Seattle has an enormous volcano (Mt Rainier) which might have some snow on top while I'm there, and will definitely have some walking tracks and spectacular woodland around it, so that's where I'm heading after the workshop: Mt Rainier for a day walk (or two).

I still can't believe I'm actually going!!!!

Edit: Another reason why it's better for me to do Clarion in June rather than January is that I'd be doing it early in my PhD rather than a third of the way through. That gives me more time to use what I learned, I reckon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Enjoy your time in Seattle!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's fabulous!
(Incidentally, SD has some hiking areas, too, but I agree that Seattle's hiking opportunities absolutely rock.)

Carol Ryles said...

Thanks Maggie and "how not to write".
Maggie, I loved San Diego when I was there. Spent a whole day at the zoo, walked along the beach. Nice city.

Jim Stewart said...

Congratulations! I will be there too. My name is Jim Stewart, and you can read my blog at jimnstewart.blogspot.com.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Carol Ryles said...

Hi Jim, Congratulations to you too. Can't wait to get to Clarion. See you there and I look forward to meeting you too.