Monday, October 20, 2008

Wastelands: Age of Iron

Returning home from Wastelands was like coming back from Clarion. I was just getting into the swing of being around like-minded people who love sf, fantasy....and (best of all) Steampunk and it was time to go.

It was:

Fun and frightening reading out my paper (a first for me).

Great catching up with friends new and old.

Awesome listening to Nick Stathopoulos about art and the titanic and Mr Squiggle.

Fantastic eating cupcakes and drinking tea and talking with the ladies from Twelfth Planet Press.

Amazing looking at all the dress ups. There's something about the Victorian costume that makes me wish we still dressed like that, except maybe for the corsets in summer. And, of course, the girl who gave me a business card advertising "The Arte of Weaponry" was dressed totally the coolest. And so was Lily Chrywenstrom who seemed to be dressed in something different every time I saw her!!

A totally awesome time. Congratulations Callistra and Cheshirenoir for a job excellently done.

Next steampunk convention, I'm dressing up!

2 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

Will you go to Continuum next year, Carol? I might go, if I find myself in Mount Gambier rather than Perth at the time.

And have you read Laura Goodin's blog on Waterpunk? Might be the Next Big Thing!

Carol Ryles said...

Hey Thanks Satima. I'll go check it out

Hmmm....Continuum is very tempting. I'd like to go, but I'll play it by ear and see what's happening at home closer to the time.